Recipe of the Month: Quinoa and Mushroom-Stuffed Butternut Squash
Looking for a healthy dish to add to your Thanksgiving table? Clear a spot for this quinoa and mushroom-stuffed butternut squash recipe from 12 Tomatoes.
Ingredients (serves 6-8)
- 4 lbs. butternut squash (2 regular-sized squashes)
- 2 cups quinoa
- 1 cup chanterelle mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 cup white onion, chopped
- ½ cup parmesan
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, separated
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 450º F
- Cut squashes in half, take the seeds out and place, cut side up, in two 11×7 baking dishes. Season with salt, pepper and olive oil (one tablespoon per squash), and add 1/4 inch of water to baking dishes.
- Cover baking dishes with foil and bake for around 40 minutes, or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Reduce oven temperature to 375º F
- In a small pot, bring 4 cups of water to a boil and then add quinoa. Reduce to a simmer and let cook for 15-20 minutes, or until quinoa has absorbed all water. Remove from heat.
- In a pan, heat remaining olive oil and sauté mushrooms and onions on medium heat. Add in the garlic after a few minutes. Cook until fragrant and onions are translucent.
- After squash has cooled, scoop out the insides, leaving about a 1/4 inch of flesh.
- In a large bowl, combine quinoa, butternut squash, mushrooms, onions and garlic, and Parmesan cheese. Mix well and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon mixture back into the hollow butternut squashes and return them to the over to back for 20-25 minutes, or until top is golden brown.