April marks the start of citrus season, which means you’ll have no problem finding lots of ripe-for-the-picking limes, lemons, oranges and more. Put all that fruit to good use with this Orange Tahini Dressing and Kale Citrus Salad recipe from Edible Perspective.
INGREDIENTS (serves 2 large or 4 side salads)
For the dressing:
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon tahini
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
- Salt + pepper to taste
For the salad:
- 1 head lacinato/dinosaur kale
- 1 ruby red grapefruit, peeled and sliced
- 1 apple, chopped
- Toasted + salted pepitas
- Place all dressing ingredients in a bowl, starting with 2 tablespoons of orange juice, and vigorously whisk until fully combined.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper, then taste and add more if desired. Dressing will thicken as it sits. Add more orange juice to thin out if needed. Ingredients can also be blended in a blender.
- Remove the stems from the kale, chop well, then wash and pat dry. Place in a large bowl.
- Pour dressing overtop of the kale and massage into the greens with your hands. Add more dressing as needed.
- Add the grapefruit, apple, and pepitas*.
- Serve immediately.
*To toast raw pepitas:
- Place 1 teaspoon of oil in a pan over med-low.
- Once hot, add 1/2 cup raw pepitas to the pan with a few pinches of salt and/or pepper.
- Toast for 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until puffed up and golden brown.
- Remove from heat then let cool and store in a sealed container.